We have seen a fierce rivalry between Apple and Samsung for more than a decade. During the early stages, the two technology giants didn’t talk to each other much. In other words, their devices were not compatible, and it was almost impossible to run programs or applications across the systems.
However, that has changed in recent years. Both companies are aware of the users’ need to connect today’s machines across various systems and make it easy to use common applications and programs. Apple, especially, has opened up its platform to other systems lately. Today, you can use Apple devices like the iPhone and iPad with other non-Apple devices.
While Apple produces multiple private consumer electronics like smartphones, headgears, tablets, laptops, and PCs, it does not manufacture as many consumer devices as its rivals – Samsung, LG, and Sony. So, to lock up its customers, Apple started to open up so that its device could connect to popular consumer electronic products like TVs. Although it has Apple TV, it is a streaming device and an actual TV.
Casting your phone to TV goes by many names. Some call it screen-mirroring, while some brands coin their own casting platforms like Apple’s AirPlay, Google’s Google Cast, and Wi-Fi Alliance’s Miracast. In this post, we have prepared a guide on how to cast from iPhone to Samsung TV.
Option 1 – Use Apple AirPlay. For this option, you will need a Samsung TV with AirPlay capability.
Option 2 – Use one of the selected apps with AirPlay built-in to cast audio/video content played within these apps. Some of the apps with AirPlay built-in are Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, HBO Max, etc.
If you want to cast YouTube from your iPhone to your Samsung TV, you can use the Cast icon built into the YouTube app, Airplay, or you can pair the YouTube app on your phone with the YouTube app on your TV.
Bonus option – You can use some third-party apps (Replica, iMediaShare, etc.) to mirror your iPhone’s screen to your TV, even if the TV doesn’t support AirPlay.
Casting from iPhone to Samsung TV
The following steps will guide you to accomplish that:
- The first thing you want to do is make sure that your Samsung TV has AirPlay capability.
- It would be best if you also made sure that both devices connect to the same wireless network and place two devices close to each other.
- So, grab your Samsung remote and press the Settings button.
- The gear-like Settings icon would normally reside at the bottom-left of your Samsung TV screen. Go and select the Settings icon.
- Next, choose the General tab.
- If your Samsung TV has AirPlay capability, it will show the Apple AirPlay Settings – select this option and click OK.
- The next TV screen will display four AirPlay Settings tabs – look at the first tab to ensure that the AirPlay is ON. If it states OFF, toggle it to ON.
- Now, get our iPhone and slide down from the top-right of the screen to bring the quick control center page.
- Tap the screen mirroring icon in the middle – it’s an overlapping double rectangle.
- You may need to scroll down to find your Samsung TV model or name. Tap when you see it.
- The TV screen will pop a code. Enter the code on your iPhone and press OK.
- Voila, your entire iPhone now casts to the TV.
- You can set aside the Samsung TV remote and use your iPhone to control the TV.
Watch This Video to Learn How to Cast Your iPhone to Samsung TV Using AirPlay
Casting Selected Apps to Your Samsung TV
You can select specific apps or media if you don’t want to cast the entire iPhone screen on your Samsung TV. Some apps like Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, or HBO Max have AirPlay built-in so that you can cast its content on your Samsung TV without casting the entire iPhone. In addition, the iPhone’s Photo app has an AirPlay button hidden inside the Share icon (a square with a vertical arrow.)
The following steps will guide you on how to cast media from your iPhone to your TV via AirPlay:
- Like always, your iPhone and Samsung TV must connect to the matching wireless network for AirPlay to work.
- Get hold of your iPhone and open the app you want to cast to your Samsung TV.
- Select a media content you want to cast and tap the Share icon at the bottom of the screen.
- Scroll down until you see the AirPlay button, and tap it.
- If your Samsung TV has the AirPlay feature, the TV name will appear in the list.
- Tap your TV and enter the passcode that pops up on the TV.
- If you open an AirPlay-ready app mentioned above, it will be a lot easier.
- Just tap on the AirPlay icon, and you can watch the media content on your Samsung TV.
How to Cast from iPhone to your TV via AirPlay
Casting YouTube Videos from iPhone to Samsung TV
Although Apple has opened up its proprietary features and platforms to non-Apple systems, it has not yet licensed its AirPlay to many streaming and other apps. YouTube, being the second most visited website after Google, is one of them that doesn’t have a built-in AirPlay button despite its popularity (understandably due to the fact that Google owns it).
But, it’s not that difficult to cast a YouTube video from your iPhone to your Samsung TV. Here are two methods to do that, but let’s not forget the basic principle for the casting to work, i.e., both devices need to log into one Wi-Fi network.
Cast Via AirPlay
- Open YouTube on your iPhone.
- Pick a video you want to cast on your Samsung TV.
- Touch the Cast icon at the top of the video screen. It’s a rectangle with Wi-Fi bars.
- You will see two options: “AirPlay & Bluetooth devices” and “Link with TV code.” Pick the first method.
- Select your Samsung TV name, which should appear on the adjacent devices with the AirPlay capability list.
- Now you can enjoy the YouTube video on your large Samsung TV.
Cast with TV Code
- Repeat the first three steps above to come to the two options available – “AirPlay & Bluetooth devices”, and “Link with TV code”. This time, pick the second method.
- On your Samsung TV, download, install and open the YouTube app.
- Head to the Settings at the left of the Home screen.
- You may need to scroll down until you see the option “Link with TV code.”
- Press the button, and a TV code pops up right in the middle of the screen.
- Now, head to your iPhone and type in that code in the blue rectangle that says “Enter TV code.”
- That’s it, and you can watch YouTube videos on your Samsung TV.
How to Cast YouTube Videos from iPhone to Your Samsung TV
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Question: Is AirPlay available on Samsung TVs?
Answer: Yes, Samsung TVs have AirPlay capability, but only on Samsung’s selected recent TV models. Most current models from 2018 onward have AirPlay built-in, probably in conjunction with the launch of AirPlay 2 in that year, which has a lot more connectivity features to enable more connections with non-Apple devices, like the Samsung TVs.
Question: What happens if my Samsung TV doesn’t show up on screen mirroring?
Answer: There are probably tons of reasons why your Samsung TV is not connecting to screen mirroring on the iPhone. The first thought when you have this issue is to restart both devices since there could be some processing bugs, especially when you constantly use the phone and TV to access multiple apps and platforms. When you reconnect, ensure they are both connected to the same wireless network, so that both devices can ‘talk’ to each other.
Question: How to connect my iPhone to my Samsung TV without AirPlay?
Answer: Many apps are available if you don’t have recent Samsung TV models with AirPlay capability. One of the best free applications is the Chromecast Mirroring app. Not only will it connect your devices without AirPlay, but the app also offers more features, for instance, multiple screen options.
Mirroring an iPhone to a Samsung TV Using Third-Party Apps
Although Apple and Samsung are great rivals, they have become friendlier with each other. Not only will they benefit by sharing customers, but it’s a win for customers too since they can use both tech giants’ devices simultaneously.
If you are one of their customers and use two of their best products (iPhone – arguably the best phone; Samsung – arguably the best TV), this guide helps you with several simple steps to cast from iPhone to Samsung TV. Now, you can easily cast from iPhone to Samsung and enjoy.