Gone are the days when each technology brand used to stick to its own all-encompassing ecosystem. If only one tech company still doesn’t allow other materials into its platform, it would be Apple. However, an Apple device can still connect to other platforms such as Google, Microsoft, and Samsung.
Most Samsung TVs’ latest models have an AirPlay option in their OS. In addition, Apple AirPlay’s latest version (since 2018) makes it simpler to connect to other ecosystems, Samsung’s included. Anyway, you must double-check if your Samsung TV model has AirPlay before you can start connecting your iPhone.
In this guide, we have prepared a guide on how to connect your iPhone to Samsung TV with the following step-by-step instructions:
- Firstly, your Samsung smart TV must be compatible with Apple’s AirPlay.
- Use the same Wi-Fi network to connect both your iPhone and Samsung TV.
- Grab the Samsung TV remote and press the SOURCE button at the top right.
- Maneuver the directional button to the Settings on the TV screen. Like in many devices, the Settings button looks like a gear.
- Press <Enter> when you have highlighted the Settings button.
- Select General settings.
- If your Samsung TV is new enough, you’ll see the AirPlay Settings – select this item.
- The next screen will show that AirPlay is ON (active). If it’s not, enable it.
- The next step is to take your iPhone and swipe down from the top right of the screen to display a quick settings page.
- Tap the mirroring icon – the double overlapping screen located at about the center position.
- If your iPhone and the TV are on one Wi-Fi network, you should see your compatible Samsung TV on the list of devices.
- Select your desired Samsung TV.
- A passcode will appear on the TV.
- Type in the passcode on your iPhone, and it’s now connected to your Samsung TV. Your iPhone’s screen is now mirrored on the large Samsung TV screen.
How to Screen Mirror Your iPhone to a Samsung Smart TV
Playing Content from iPhone to TV
What if you don’t want to mirror the entire iPhone on the Samsung TV? Yes, you can select what media to play on the TV. If your Samsung TV has an AirPlay capability, you can directly cast some streaming apps such as Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, HBO Max, or even iPhone’s own Photo app on the TV.
Here’s how you can do that:
- First, make sure you connect your iPhone and Samsung TV to one Wi-Fi network.
- Open your desired app.
- Select the intended video/media.
- The AirPlay button normally appears at the top part of the screen. It looks like a rectangle with a small triangular stand at the bottom. On iPhone’s Photo app, scroll down, find the Share button first, and tap it before you can see the AirPlay button.
- Tap the AirPlay button.
- Your AirPlay-enabled Samsung TV should appear on the list of connected devices with the AirPlay capability.
- Tap your TV name, and you can see your video/media on the large TV screen.
How to AirPlay from iPhone to a Samsung TV
Now, you might wonder what happens if an app does not have the AirPlay button or capability. Can you still watch the app’s content on your Samsung TV? The answer is yes, and you can follow these steps to do it:
- Say you want to watch a YouTube video (which doesn’t have an AirPlay button) from your iPhone to your Samsung TV.
- On your iPhone, open the YouTube app.
- Select a video.
- Look for the mirroring icon at the top-right of the screen. It’s a TV screen with a Wi-Fi logo at the bottom left.
- Tap the mirroring icon and choose your Samsung TV name from the list.
- Now, the video should start playing on your Samsung TV.
- Alternatively, you can tap on “Link with TV code”. Open YouTube on your TV, tap Link with TV code under Settings, and type the code on your iPhone.
Changing AirPlay settings on the TV
If you like, you can also change the AirPlay settings on your Samsung TV using the following steps:
- Grab your Samsung TV remote again.
- Navigate to the Settings button.
- Then, choose General.
- You will see a menu. Then, select the AirPlay Settings from the menu.
- You will see four options:
- Option 1: AirPlay – this is the first option, and you can set the AirPlay feature on or off.
- Subtitles and Captioning: you can display or hide subtitles in this option. When you turn it on, you can also configure how you want the subtitles to appear, i.e., its font, size, and color.
- About AirPlay: you can find all the information about AirPlay on your TV here, for example, the software version.
- Require Code: this option will let you control access to your Samsung TV. Tap it to set a password for any compatible and connected device to get a pass.
Connecting Your iPhone via HDMI
If you don’t want to connect wirelessly and prefer a wired connection, you can do so via an HDMI cable. If you have an Apple Lightning AV Adapter, you can use it to support mirroring up to 1080p HD. Otherwise, you may find a similar and much cheaper adapter at other stores such as Amazon, eBay, or Walmart. Simply slot in the adapter to the lightning connector of your iPhone, and connect the other end to the HDMI port on your Samsung TV via an HDMI cable.
How to Screen Mirror Your iPhone to Any TV (including Samsung) Using Apple’s HDMI Adapter
Connecting Your iPhone via Apps
If your Samsung TV doesn’t have AirPlay, it doesn’t mean you cannot wirelessly connect your iPhone. Many apps available in the App Store can help you connect your iPhone to your Samsung Tv.
Here are some of those apps:
- TV Cast & Screen Mirroring App
- Screen Mirroring Samsung TV
- Miracast Screen Mirroring +
It’s best if you can try out these apps and see if they work for you. Connect your iPhone to the home Wi-Fi, or connect your Samsung TV to your iPhone’s cellular network and download the app. Most apps work the same. Once installed, launch the app, and you might be given a passcode to start mirroring.
Best iPhone Apps for Screen Mirroring
If you have an iPhone but don’t want to connect to Apple TV (maybe you hate to pay a continuous subscription fee), you can still connect it to other TV brands like Samsung. We have shown you a few ways to connect your iPhone to your Samsung TV in this guide.
It doesn’t matter if your Samsung TV or app has AirPlay or not; you can still easily connect and cast the media from your iPhone to the Samsung TV, as long as you connect the iPhone to the Wi-Fi network that your TV also connects to.