Vizio smart TVs, like all other smart televisions, require the internet for the user to utilize the TV adequately. When the TV has a stable Internet connection, the user can enjoy content from all over the world and even watch local programs without a fuss. Also, Smartcast, Vizio’s operating firmware, heavily relies on the internet to work efficiently.
Sometimes you need the TV’s MAC address to modify various connection settings on the router to ensure the TV has an uninterrupted Internet connection. Getting the MAC Address of your VIZIO Smart TV will also help you identify the TV on your network. Read on as we look at how you can retrieve your Vizio’s MAC address by following the elaborate steps in this article.
A MAC address is used to identify your TV and other devices on the network. Unlike IP addresses, which are usually dynamic, MAC addresses are permanent/static. They are assigned to each device by the device manufacturer.
If your TV supports wired and wireless connections, it will have two MAC addresses.
Knowing your MAC address is important for various reasons. MAC addresses are used to block or give Wi-Fi access to certain devices on a network. They can also be used to adjust QoS settings and give priority to your TV.
You can find the MAC address of your VIZIO TVs from your TV’s end (in network settings) or from the router’s end.
To find your TV’s MAC address using the remote and your TV’s settings, navigate to Menu > Network > Manual Setup. You will see two MAC addresses labeled RJ45 MAC and Wireless MAC.
To find your VIZIO TV’s MAC address through your router’s settings, log in to your router and navigate to DHCP Client List (TP-Link routers), Attached Devices (NETGEAR routers), or Connected Devices. You will see a list of currently connected devices and, assuming that your TV is connected to the router, you should be able to find your TV’s MAC address there.
What Is a MAC Address?
A MAC address stands for a Media Access Control Address which is a unique address consisting of numbers and letters that identifies the devices on a network. More specifically, it identifies a device’s Network Interphase Controller (NIC).
The NIC is a hardware component that enables devices to connect to the internet or a Local Area Network wirelessly or through a wired connection. In layman’s terms, It does this by converting the data into electrical signals that can be transmitted over circuits and across the network.
The MAC address is issued by the device’s manufacturer and burned into the NIC. The Address is a permanent address that never changes, in most cases, and is issued by the manufacturer, unlike IP addresses that are meant to be dynamic and are issued by the router.
VIZIO TVs can have two MAC addresses depending on the network interphase, i.e., if your device can connect to the internet wirelessly and through Ethernet cables, then it has two MAC addresses, one for the wired interface and another for the wireless interface.
How to Find the MAC Address on My Vizio TV
You can easily find your Vizio TV’s MAC address and other network-related information through the TV menu options.
The steps to use to retrieve the MAC address are as follows:
- Press the Menu key on the remote when the TV is on.
- Use the up/down navigation keys to select Network.
- Then navigate to the Manual setup option and click OK.
- The TV will now display all network-related information, including; the IP address, Subnet mask, Default gateway, DNS server addresses, and two MAC addresses, i.e., the RJ45 MAC and the Wireless MAC. The RJ45 MAC is the TV’s MAC address for wired connections, and the Wireless MAC is the Address for wireless connections.
How to Find the MAC Address on a VIZIO Smart TV
Find the MAC Address from the Router’s End
Most routers allow users to view the MAC addresses of devices connected to them, and you can use this to find your TV’s MAC address.
To do this, ensure the TV s connected to your router through an Ethernet cable or wirelessly, then access your router’s user interface page and go to the section that shows connected devices.
The steps to access this information on the router vary depending on the router model and manufacturer; therefore, consult the user manual or manufacturer’s website for the correct steps.
Once you see the connected devices, copy the first six characters of a MAC address you suspect to be your TV and use MAC address look-up websites to verify if the Address belongs to the TV.
Some of the said websites include MAC look-up and Admin subnet. Once you enter the MAC Address in the search bar of these websites, they will provide information such as the device’s manufacturer and type of device.
Notably, this method has some drawbacks, it could be harder if you have more than one Vizio TV on your network, but you can rely on it in instances where you cannot find the Address from the TV’s end.
Why Do I Need to Find My TV’s MAC Address?
The MAC address is used to identify the TV when it’s connected to a network. That is essential since some institutions use network-restricting features like MAC address filtering that block unregistered devices from accessing the internet.
Therefore, you need the MAC Address so the network administrator can register your device and allow it to access the internet.
The MAC address can also be used to identify the TV on the network when troubleshooting either your connection or the TV.
It is easy to find your Vizio TV’s MAC address, provided you have the TV’s remote and the menu is working as it should. If you encounter any problems, you can refer to the TV’s user manual for probable solutions, and if that does not work, contact Vizio’s customer support for further assistance.
Frequently Asked Questions
Question: How to connect a Vizio TV to Wi-Fi?
Answer: You can connect your Vizio TV to Wi-Fi by following the steps below:
- Press the Menu key on the remote.
- Use the navigation buttons to highlight the Network option and click OK to display the network menu.
- A list of available Wi-Fi networks will appear under the Wireless Access Point Menu. If you do not see your target network, highlight More Access Points and click OK.
- Highlight the network you want to connect to, click OK, and the on-screen keyboard will appear. Use it to enter the network’s password.
- Then finally, highlight Connect and press OK to complete the connection.
Connecting a VIZIO TV to the Internet
Question: Why won’t my Vizio TV connect to Wi-Fi?
Answer: The TV could have problems connecting to a wireless network for various reasons. They include:
- If the network uses a portal to log in, you have to contact the administrator and ask them to allow your TV on the network from their end. The TV does not have a browser, so it cannot connect to networks that require one to enter a password and username through a browser.
- Check whether it’s a hidden network; if so, use the Hidden Network option under the Network menu.
- Also, ensure that the Wi-Fi network is strong and stable since a weak signal will disconnect occasionally.
Troubleshooting VIZIO TV’s Internet Connection
Question: How do I find the IP address of my Vizio TV?
Answer: You can find your Vizio TV’s current IP address by following the steps below:
- Press the Menu key on the remote.
- Navigate to Network and select Manual Setup.
- The TV will display connection information, such as the IP and MAC addresses.