As a large and influential conglomerate, Samsung produces various telecommunication equipment and other consumer electronic devices, including TVs. Samsung TVs are known for their breakthrough technology, unrivaled crystal-clear pictures, and top-notch sound quality. That said, you can still connect the TV to external speakers or soundbars to enhance the sound quality and achieve an immersive viewing or gaming experience.
If you want to know how to connect speakers to a Samsung TV, you’re in the right place. This guide will show you how to accomplish that. There’s a plethora of external speakers and soundbars from hundreds of brands available in the market. You can choose whatever speaker you like, but the method to connect it (including Samsung’s own speaker and soundbars) to your TV is almost the same.
You can connect any speaker system or soundbar to your Samsung TV and make it work. The type of connection will depend on the available outputs on your TV and available inputs on your speakers/soundbar.
The ideal connection when connecting soundbars to Samsung TVs is HDMI ARC.
If you want to connect passive speakers to your TV, you will have to buy a stereo amplifier (for a stereo speaker pair) or an AV receiver (for a home theater system).
Some of the latest Samsung TVs do not have AUX or RCA audio outputs, so you will have to use either digital outputs (like optical or HDMI) or a wireless connection (Bluetooth or Wi-Fi).
If you want to connect older or cheaper speakers to a new Samsung TV (one without analog outputs), and your speakers have only analog inputs, you will have to buy an ADC (Analog-to-Digital) audio adapter/converter.
Choosing the Speakers
When there are so many speakers of different types available, choosing one for your Samsung TV is mind-boggling. You may want to get the sleek and popular soundbar, but regular speakers could be adequate.
If you want to buy a passive stereo speaker system, you must also think about buying an amplifier that has two channels. Powered speakers, on the other hand, don’t require an external amplifier. If you are in for surround sound, you should also get an AV receiver.
|Best Powered Speakers for Your Samsung TV
|Best Soundbars for Your Samsung TV
|Best Home Theater Bundles for Your Samsung TV
Nakamichi Shockwafe Ultra
SONY Home Theater Bundle
Connecting Speakers to Samsung TV
Most devices today pair easily since they are made to interconnect with each other. So do Samsung TVs, where you can pair any external device easily. The method you’re going to choose depends on your TV’s audio output ports, speakers’ input audio ports, and supported wireless technologies. Stick to the following methods to connect your external speakers to your Samsung TV:
Connect with an RCA Cable
- Attach one end of the RCA cable to your Samsung TV’s audio output jack.
- Take the other end of the RCA cable and connect it to your speaker’s audio jack.
- Plug in the speaker to the power source and turn it on.
Connect with an HDMI Cable
This method is usually used for soundbars. Most speakers do not have HDMI inputs. Here’s what you need to do.
- Connect the soundbar to the TV via HDMI. Ideally, you should be using HDMI ARC ports. Both your TV and your soundbar will have these HDMI ARC (or eARC) ports.
HDMI ARC OUT Port on a Yamaha Soundbar
- Plug in the soundbar’s power cord to the wall socket.
- Power on the speaker/soundbar and the TV, and just like that, your devices are connected, and you can enjoy watching your Samsung TV with better sound coming from your speaker/soundbar.
Connect Using an Optical Cable
- Firstly, your Samsung TV model must have an optical port if you want to connect your speaker via an optical cable. Also, your speaker must have an optical port.
- Turn on the speaker.
- Connect the optical cable to your TV’s optical OUT port.
- Connect the other end to your speaker.
- Voila, the TV sound automatically comes out from the external speaker.
If you need to switch the audio settings manually, adhere to one of the following methods:
METHOD 1 – USING THE EASY SETUP
- Take the TV remote and hit the Home button.
- Navigate to the Settings.
- Choose Optical under Sound Output.
METHOD 2 – USING THE FULL SETTINGS
- Grab your Samsung TV remote and hit the Home button.
- Go to the left and press Settings.
- Then select Sound > Sound Output > Optical.
Connect via Bluetooth
- Get hold of your Samsung TV remote and press the Bluetooth pairing button.
- You’re now in BT pairing mode. Navigate to the left and go to Settings.
- Then, select Sound > Sound Output > Bluetooth Speaker List.
- You will see your speaker/soundbar name on the list – select it.
- When you see the message “Pair and Connect”, press Enter.
- Now you have established the connection.
Connecting a Bluetooth Speaker to a Samsung TV
Connect via Wi-Fi
Note: This method will only work with compatible Samsung soundbars. It won’t work with speakers made by other manufacturers.
- It would be best if you had a smartphone or tablet to do this.
- Grab your phone or tab and download/install the SmartThings app.
- Run the SmartThings app, and your speaker should automatically pop up. Then, select “Add now”.
- When prompted, enter the name of your speaker.
- Next, go to Settings > Sound > Sound Output – You will see your speaker name. Select it, and you’re all set.
- Now you can control the TV sound from your phone or mobile device via the SmartThings app.
Connecting a Samsung Soundbar to a Samsung TV
Troubleshooting Your Samsung TV Sound Issues
If you have a problem connecting the speakers or soundbar to your Samsung TV, follow these methods:
- Press the volume up button on the remote.
- If the TV connects to an external speaker, check the volume on the external speaker.
- If the volume is not displayed on the TV screen, Go to Settings > Sound > Sound Output > TV Speaker.
- To test the TV’s sound output, Select Settings > Support > Self Diagnosis > Start Sound Test. if it still doesn’t work, you may need to do a factory reset or update the TV software.
- Run a diagnostic test by pressing the Home button and repeat the sound testing procedure mentioned above for unclear sounds. If you find a problem with the sound, Go to the Settings option. Next, hit Sound, followed by Expert Settings, and finally, select Reset Sound.
How to Fix Samsung TV Sound Issues
Frequently Asked Questions
Question: Where can I find the audio port on my smart Samsung TV?
Answer: If you’re referring to the good old analog ports (AUX and RCA), we have to inform you that recent Samsung TV models don’t have these ports at all. The reason behind it could be that most modern devices and equipment now use digital connections (like optical) or connect wirelessly. However, all Samsung TV models come with HDMI ports that can also be used for audio transmission.
Question: Where can I find the Samsung TV’s sound output?
Answer: Get hold of your Samsung TV remote control and press the Home button at the center. Then, steer to the left to the Settings icon. After that, select Sound, and you can see the Sound Output option. Now you can select what sound output you desire – TV Speaker, Optical, or Bluetooth Speaker List.
Question: How to listen to my Samsung TV via HDMI?
Answer: Obtain the TV remote and press the Home button. Look for the Settings option. After that, select Sound and then Speaker Settings. You will see a list, and you need to select the HDMI Receiver.
Question: Can I connect a Bluetooth speaker to my Samsung smart TV?
Answer: You can easily connect any Bluetooth speaker to your Samsung smart TV so long as the TV has Bluetooth capability. Some old Samsung TVs don’t have built-in Bluetooth, and if you want to connect a Bluetooth speaker, you will have to buy a Bluetooth transmitter and connect it to your TV.
To connect, go to Settings > Sound > Sound Output > Bluetooth Speaker, and choose your speaker.
Question: How do I connect external speakers to my Samsung TV with a speaker cable?
Answer: In an era of cord-cutting and wireless connectivity, using a cable is probably an old-school way of listening to your TV via an external speaker. If you have a pair of passive speakers or the entire surround sound system, you will have to buy an AV receiver. The AV receiver connects to your TV and all the speakers connect to the receiver.
While Samsung TV’s built-in speakers provide the best audio quality in the business, you might still want to listen to your TV using your favorite external speakers or a soundbar. You can use the Samsung range of speakers, but you can also connect any speaker from other brands without any problems.
This post can guide you on connecting your external speakers to a Samsung TV. With a few easy steps, you can listen to your Samsung TV via your favorite speakers in minutes.