Macs, or Apple PCs and laptops, boast a high-definition display like what you expect from a high-end computer. While you get a Mac primarily for work, you might also want to use it for entertainment, like playing games and streaming videos or TV shows. In that case, watching video content on a Samsung TV screen can give you better picture quality.
In this post, we will guide you through the process of connecting a Mac to a Samsung TV. There are several ways to accomplish that; you can connect them wirelessly via AirPlay, use third-party apps, or go for a more fail-proof method via a wired connection.
If your top priority is reliable connection without interruptions, you should connect your Mac to your Samsung TV using an HDMI cable. If your Mac doesn’t have an HDMI port, you will have to buy Apple’s USB-C Multiport adapter.
If you prefer a wireless connection, your best option is AirPlay. However, you will need a Samsung TV that supports AirPlay/AirPlay2. Most Samsung TVs produced from 2018 onward have AirPlay built-in.
If your Samsung smart TV doesn’t support AirPlay/AirPlay2, but you still want to connect your Mac and your Samsung TV wirelessly, you could try using some third-party apps like AirBeam TV, JustStream, or LetsView.
Using Apple’s AirPlay
Apple devices such as the MacBook and iMac have an AirPlay feature that allows casting to other devices with AirPlay capabilities. To connect your Mac to your AirPlay-enabled Samsung TV, follow these simple steps:
- The first thing you’re going to do is to ensure both your Mac and your Samsung TV are on the same wireless network. Otherwise, you’ll never get the devices to connect.
- The next thing is to bring out the AirPlay feature on your Samsung TV. Start the process by taking the Samsung TV’s remote and pressing the Home button.
- That will bring you to the TV’s Home screen. Move to the lowest panel and then to the left, where you can see the Settings button. Hit Enter on the Settings button.
- You will see a few options in the Menu on the left. Select the General settings. On some newer models, you will have to select the Connection option.
- On the General settings page, you can see the Apple AirPlay Settings option – select and press Enter.
- You will come to the AirPlay Settings. Make sure the AirPlay toggle is On.
- Then, select the option below the toggle – Require Code with the option “First Time Only”. That way, you’ll need to enter the code only once. The next time you go to the AirPlay settings, you don’t have to enter the code again.
- You’re done with the TV settings, and now jump over to your Mac.
- At the top panel, you can see the AirPlay icon. Click on the icon, and it will display a list of AirPlay-enabled devices. If your Samsung TV is nearby, it will appear on the list too. Click on your Samsung TV name.
- That’s it, your Mac is connected, and its screen now also appears on the large Samsung TV screen.
Connecting Mac to a Samsung TV via AirPlay
Using Wired Connection
The wired connection may be an old-school method, but you must agree that it’s one of the easiest ways. The following steps will let you connect your Mac to your Samsung TV using a cable:
- First, you’re going to need an HDMI cable. Depending on your Mac model, you may also need an adapter.
Apple USB-C-to-HDMI Adapter (aka Multiport Adapter)
- Connect one end of the cable to your Mac and the other end to your Samsung TV’s HDMI port.
- Once you’ve wired them up, go to your Mac and do the following.
- Click on the Apple logo at the top-left of or Mac’s screen.
- Select System Preferences.
- Select Display at the bottom-left.
- Toggle the Resolution to “Default for display.”
- To add an audio output, go back to the Apple logo and select System Preferences again.
- Next, select Sound.
- Then, choose your TV speakers so that the sound output will come from your Samsung TV.
- Now your Mac monitor will also appear on your Samsung TV.
Connecting a Mac to a Samsung TV Using a Cable
Using Third-Party Apps
If you prefer a wireless setup, AirPlay is ever-ready. However, that is not the only way to wirelessly connect your Mac to your Samsung TV. You can also do that via many third-party apps. The mirroring apps work on Samsung TV models made from 2012 onwards. We will quickly show you how to connect with the assistance of a few recommended apps.
AirBeamTV has a user-friendly interface and can stream in 4K resolution. Follow these steps to accomplish a connection using AirBeamTV:
- Connect your Mac and your Samsung TV to a single Wi-Fi network.
- Download the AirBeamTV mirroring app on your Mac and launch it. In addition, you can also get it directly from the website.
- You will see the mirroring icon at the top bar of your Mac. Click the icon, and choose your Samsung TV name.
- Your Mac is connected and will take control of your Samsung TV.
Connecting a Mac to a Samsung TV Using AirBeamTV
JustStream is another great app to connect your Mac to a Samsung TV and enjoy having a large second screen for your Apple computer. With no wires needed, you can download this user-friendly and free app (basic features) and launch it on your Mac. To begin connecting, stick to the following procedures:
- Open the app and direct the cursor to the Menu bar.
- Click on the JustStream logo icon.
- Choose the Display you want to mirror.
- Select the Samsung TV you want to mirror the Mac.
- Start streaming content on your Mac. Now, you can also see the screen on your Samsung TV.
Frequently Asked Questions
Question: Is there a way to control my Samsung TV from my MacBook?
Answer: Yes, in fact, we have several methods to control a Samsung TV via your Mac. Wired connections are possible, but if you prefer clean, untangled wireless connections, AirPlay and third-party apps (AirBeam TV and JustStream) can help you accomplish that.
Question: How can I cast my Mac on my TV?
Answer: There are many third-party apps you can download and launch to cast your Mac to your TV. JustStream, AirBeamTV, and LetsView are three of the most popular apps. However, we would first recommend using Apple’s proprietary platform called AirPlay. If you want less interruption, consider using the wired HDMI connection.
Question: What is AirPlay?
Answer: AirPlay is Apple’s in-house mirroring tool available on most Apple devices, such as iPhone, iPad, MacBook, and Apple personal computers. You can stream your Apple device’s content via AirPlay to various AirPlay-enabled devices such as Samsung TVs (model 2018 or later)
Question: Can I mirror my Mac on my Samsung TV via AirPlay?
Answer: Yes, if you have a Samsung TV produced in 2018 or later, it will be super easy to mirror your Mac. Since 2018, all Samsung TVs come equipped with AirPlay. In other words, you don’t have to get a third-party app or a piece of additional equipment to mirror your Mac content to your Samsung TV.
While your Mac computer already has a fantastic high-definition display, you might still want to watch video content on a much bigger screen like a 75-inch Samsung TV. You can easily connect your Mac to the TV using a few methods explained in this article.
It will be even easier if your Samsung TV already has Apple’s own AirPlay feature (embedded in all Samsung TV models made from 2018). With AirPlay, the connection can be established in just a few clicks.